[Xen-devel] [ANNOUNCE] Xen port to Cortex-A15 / ARMv7 with virt extensions

Catalin Marinas catalin.marinas at arm.com
Fri Dec 16 12:47:04 EST 2011

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 05:38:52PM +0000, David Vrabel wrote:
> On 16/12/11 16:54, Catalin Marinas wrote:

> >> Which branches are required for the Versatile Express with the
> >> Cortex-A15? I merged linux-arm-arch/arm-arch/vexpress in
> >
> > That's the branch if you only need VE and A15 support
> >
> >> but I get a
> >> instruction fault immediately after branching to __mmap_switched.
> >>
> >> Is it not setting up the MMU correctly?
> >
> > Do you run this on a software model? What config options do you use? You
> > would need to enable VEXPRESS_EXTENDED_MEMORY_MAP and
> > ARCH_VEXPRESS_CA15X4.
>
> The envelope model, yes.  Both those options are enabled.  I've also
> attached the complete config and the model configuration.
>
> I took a closer look at the diffs between what Stefano had in his tree
> (which included a bunch of LPAE support which I don't have enabled) and
> the kernel boots the addition of some isb's when the MMU is switched on.
>
> These were added by: "ARM: LPAE: add ISBs around MMU enabling code"
> (commit 1c553c2 in your tree) which is think is only present in the LPAE
> branch.  Is this patch not actually specific to LPAE?  Are there other
> similar patches?

This patch is not specific to LPAE, it's an architecture requirement and
it became visible with A15. The complete patch is here:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/cmarinas/linux-arm-arch.git;a=commitdiff;h=1c553c2afdd7a57cf874a38925bc58381b28150b

though I only kept it in my LPAE branch (which is on it's way to
mainline for 3.3-rc1).

--
Catalin