[GIT PULL v2] Linux support for ARM LPAE

Catalin Marinas catalin.marinas at arm.com
Tue Dec 6 17:27:14 EST 2011

On 6 December 2011 20:45, Russell King - ARM Linux
<linux at arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 06, 2011 at 08:34:16PM +0000, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 06, 2011 at 03:29:55PM +0000, Catalin Marinas wrote:
>> > I updated the series with an additional signed-off-by to your patch. The
>> > code is unchanged. Could you please pull it again?
>>
>> I will for this time only, but note - last time you said:
>>
>> > If there are no further comments, could you please pull the ARM LPAE
>> > branch below? They should be merged after Will's idmap patches (no real
>> > conflict, just correctly functioning setup_mm_for_reboot).
>>
>> Now, the thing is, merging it after Will's patches won't solve that in
>> any shape or form - it really does not matter what order I do the merges
>> in, the fact of the matter is that there is no ordering or dependence
>> between your patches and Will's, so there's no guarantee that your code
>> will see a properly functioning setup_mm_for_reboot.
>>
>> If you actually depend on something in some other tree, you need to have
>> it merged into your tree _before_ the objects which depend on it.
>>
>> So, what the above comment admits to me is that "what I'm asking you to
>> pull is known to be broken if a git-bisect hits one of these commits,
>> but I don't care."
>>
>> As I said, I will merge it this time around, but next time I won't.
>
> Well, I might do if you told me that your changes conflict with Will's
> idmap changes in arch/arm/mm/idmap.c:
>
> ++<<<<<<< HEAD
>  +extern char  __idmap_text_start[], __idmap_text_end[];
> ++=======
> + #ifdef CONFIG_SMP
> + static void idmap_del_pmd(pud_t *pud, unsigned long addr, unsigned long end)
> + {
> +       pmd_t *pmd;
> +
> +       if (pud_none_or_clear_bad(pud))
> +               return;
> +       pmd = pmd_offset(pud, addr);
> +       pmd_clear(pmd);
> + }
> ++>>>>>>> cf9a53fb7cf8dd2fd2b5d7bb07434bd2ebeb5a8f
>
> I'm assuming that idmap_del_pmd() just gets deleted?
>
> Alternatively, if you wish to fix the dependencies of your commits and
> resubmit a pull request, let me know.

Indeed, idmap_del_pmd() is deleted.

But a better approach if you already merged Will's idmap branch is for
me to rebase LPAE against your devel-stable. I'll solve the conflicts
and test the branch before sending another pull request. If you prefer
this, is there some commit I can rebase LPAE onto?

--
Catalin