How to handle named resources with DT?

Cousson, Benoit b-cousson at ti.com
Fri Aug 12 04:56:13 EDT 2011

On 8/12/2011 6:10 AM, Shawn Guo wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 09, 2011 at 11:37:10PM +0200, Cousson, Benoit wrote:

> It is definitely useful for other platforms, so please add the support
> in DT core.

Well, I still have to solve the resource_byname issue for IRQ and REG
first :-)

>>> I think people care, and it will be a net win, but it does mean you
>>> need do the work of crafting a binding that will work for a large
>>> proportion of SoCs.
>>
> When it comes out, I will happily test it on imx :)

Now, you are putting a lot of pressure on my shoulders :-)

We are still missing basic DT support for OMAP4 and just started the
OMAP3 beagleboard, so it will take some time before facing the DMA
issue. But it will happen, probably sooner than later.

>> The devil is in the details, but the way the DMA lines are connected
>> in OMAP is similar to IRQ lines, and maybe a little bit simpler.
>>
>> So starting with a copy/paste of the of_irq file should be a good start.
>> And then the issues will start:-)
>>

> I had a conversation with Arnd as below.  Arnd has the concern on
> multiple dma controllers.  So it is a question if we need to handle
> multiple dma controllers like we do for multiple irq controllers.

Quite, interesting, I cannot find the thread, did you discuss that on
linaro-dev, lakml?

> --- quote ---
> Shawn Guo:
>> Then like that IRQ number is decoded and populated into IORESOURCE_IRQ
>> by device tree infrastructural code, we can also do the same into
>> IORESOURCE_DMA.  In that case, drivers do not need any code change for
>> getting dma channel/event numbers from device tree, as
>> platform_get_resource(pdev, IORESOURCE_DMA) still works for them.
>
> Arnd Bergmann:
> But I really don't think there is value in using IORESOURCE_DMA for this.
> We don't have the code to manage DMA resources for more than one DMA
> controller AFAICT, and I think we should not add it. Globally
> unique interrupt numbers cause us a lot of trouble and we go to great
> lengths to fake them on modern devices.

Yeah, that totally makes sense. We do have several DMA engines in OMAP
anyway, so unique number is clearly not the best approach.
But in that case, it means adding a new kernel API for that and not only
an of_XXX one. Because driver should then rely on it with or without DT.

> It would be much better
> not to have them visible in the OS, and I don't want to add them to
> a modern API like the dmaengine.

That part is less clear to me, what does it means?

Regards,
Benoit