How to handle named resources with DT?

Cousson, Benoit b-cousson at ti.com
Tue Aug 9 12:57:20 EDT 2011

Hi Manju,

On 8/9/2011 6:29 PM, G, Manjunath Kondaiah wrote:
> Hi Benoit,
>
> On Tue, Aug 09, 2011 at 11:23:20AM +0200, Cousson, Benoit wrote:
>> Hi Grant,
>>
>> Trying to bind hwmod informations with DT, I'm facing a little limitation.
>> A bunch of drivers are using the platform_get_resource_byname, so
>> the name for the resource is needed.
>>
>> The name is used so far for IORESOURCE_MEM, IORESOURCE_IRQ and
>> IORESOURCE_DMA types of resources.
>
> IORESOURCE_MEM and IORESOURCE_IRQ's are fetched from dt blob and
> it will be part of pdev.

Yes, but without the proper name in the resource structure. It will be
then impossible to use the platform_get_resource_byname function that is
currently used by a bunch of drivers.

> For IORESOURCE_DMA, you can have property
> "dma-channel" in dtsi file and fetch dma-channel in driver probe
> through "of_property_read_u32()" api.

That will not be enough to get the name. So maybe something like:
	dmas = <12>, "rx_req", <13>, "tx_req";
will be doable.
The issue is that the name is optional so managing the multiple entries
might be tricky.

BTW, it's strange that a default support does not exist for dma request
(and not channel).
The mechanism is similar to irq line, and quite standard to many SoC
AFAIK. Or maybe I missed it.

> BTW, this is not required for omap since dt-hwmod binding will fetch
> pdev pointer from hwmod database and it will be used "as is" without
> any modification which inturn does not break any existing pm
> functionality.

Well for the moment... but I have some long term plan as well:-)

Thanks,
Benoit