Architecture specific implementations for tickless kernel and deferrable timers

Vikram Narayanan vikram186 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 11:07:40 EDT 2011

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 8:04 PM, Russell King - ARM Linux
<linux at arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 07:56:56PM +0530, Vikram Narayanan wrote:
>> Can you also give some idea on how the system's RTC is hooked up with
>> the generic timekeeping code.
>> Is it hooked up in someway so that the walltime is calculated wrt the
>> initial value of the RTC?
>
> I'd like to pass you over to the RTC folk, but I don't think they're
> very active anymore.
>
> Suffice it to say that the RTC subsystem will set the system date/time
> on initialization from the RTC device if one is provided.  All I can
> suggest is to look at drivers/rtc and include/linux/rtc.h for the
> details.  The MAINTAINERS file should list who is responsible for RTC
> stuff as well as a mailing list for it.

Yes. Sure. I already have a driver in place for RTC, under /dev/rtc. I
will try to post my doubts in the RTC mailing lists.
Just noticed a folder clocksource under drivers.
Quite curious about what it is for?
Can you give some hints about it?

Thanks,
Vikram