[RFC] ARM DMA mapping TODO, v1

Joerg Roedel joro at 8bytes.org
Thu Apr 28 06:27:21 EDT 2011

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 09:29:16PM +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> 4. Implement an architecture independent version of dma_map_ops
>    based on the iommu.h API. As Joerg mentioned, this has been
>    missing for some time, and it would be better to do it once
>    than for each IOMMU separately. This is probably a lot of work.

Yes, thats missing for a long time. It will also need some changes to
the IOMMU-API but that should be doable. The best would be to extend the
IOMMU-API so that it also supports GART-like IOMMUs. This way every
dma_ops implementation on all the architectures providing such an IOMMU
could be covered with the architecture independent dma_ops
implementation. This would only leave the low-level hardware access in
the IOMMU drivers.
I think this also requires to change the current semantics of the
existing IOMMU-API implementations. I will prepare a write-up of my
ideas for discussion.

Regards,

	Joerg