Status of arch/arm in linux-next

Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD plagnioj at jcrosoft.com
Tue Apr 19 11:20:56 EDT 2011

On 08:02 Tue 19 Apr     , Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 2:54 PM, Alexey Zaytsev
> <alexey.zaytsev at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > But being serious now, what's the plan for the new code?
> > I might get basic support for the Conexant/Ikanos SolosW SOC by the
> > 2.6.41 merge window. Should I just send it in, or is there some
> > moratorium in place, before the current code gets sorted out?
>
> I don't have any set-in-stone plans. But I _am_ going to push back a
> lot more on people who ask me to pull stuff that adds a lot of lines
> to random platform drivers. If it all looks like "more of the same
> crap" (another new irq driver, another stupid clock driver or pin
> listing for gpio), I'll probably just say "screw it, they didn't even
> try, why should I pull".
>
> Linaro is trying to set up some kind of platform maintainership, we'll
> see how that goes. But it will take some time to flesh out.
>
> I personally try to avoid any "hard" rules. I'm going to use common
> sense. But my common sense will have a lot of "we can't continue to
> add crazy almost-duplicated code forever" in it.
I'm actually working on AT91 cleanup as switch to clkdev and early devices,
etc...
but I do not remove too much line on contrary I may add more

I'll later remove duplicate ressources and refactor the code to allow multiple
soc in the same kernel but this will result in a LOTS of changsets.

Best Regards,
J.