[GIT PULL] omap changes for v2.6.39 merge window

Bryan Wu bryan.wu at canonical.com
Wed Apr 6 03:31:59 EDT 2011

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 2:11 PM, Barry Song <21cnbao at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/4/1 Arnd Bergmann <arnd at arndb.de>:
>> On Friday 01 April 2011, Ingo Molnar wrote:
>>> IMO the right answer is what Linus and Thomas outlined:
>>>
>>>    1) provide a small number of clean examples and clean abstractions
>>>    2) to not pull new crap from that point on
>>>    3) do this gradually but consistently
>>>
>>> I.e. make all your requirements technical and actionable - avoid sweeping,
>>> impossible to meet requirements. Do not require people to clean up all of the
>>> existing mess straight away (they cannot realistically do it), do not summarily
>>> block the flow of patches, but be firm about drawing a line in the sand and be
>>> firm about not introducing new mess in a gradually growing list of well-chosen
>>> areas of focus.
>>>
>>> Rinse, repeat.
>>
>> I believe getting to point 1 is the hard part here. There are a lot of things
>> that are wrong with the mach-* (and also plat-*) implementations, and I don't
>> think we have one today that can really serve as an example. Most decisions
>> made in there made a lot of sense when they were introduced, and declaring
>> code that was perfectly acceptable yesterday to be unacceptable crap today
>> is not going to be met with much understanding by the someone who just
>> wants to add support for one more board to 100 already existing ones in the
>> same SoC family.
>>
>> I would actually suggest a different much more radical start: Fork the way
>> that platforms are managed today, and start an alternative way of setting
>> up boards and devices together with the proven ARM core kernel infrastructure,
>> based on these observations (please correct me if some of them they don't make
>> sense):
>>
>> 1. The core arch code is not a problem (Russell does a great job here)
>> 2. The platform specific code contains a lot of crap that doesn't belong there
>>   (not enough reviewers to push back on crap)
>> 3. The amount of crap in platform specfic files is growing exponentially,
>>   despite the best efforts of a handful of people to clean it up.
>> 4. Having one source file per board does not scale any more.
>> 5. Discoverable hardware would solve this, but is not going to happen
>>   in practice.
>> 6. Board firmware would not solve this and is usually not present.
>> 7. Boot loaders can not be trusted to pass valid information
>> 8. Device tree blobs can solve a lot of the problems, and nobody has
>>   come up with a better solution.
>
> ARM BSP is still blasting! we are planning to merge our new ARM
> cortex-a9 SoC into kernel.

As far as I know, Barry is working on a new SoC family based on
Cortex-A9. He asked me/Eric personally before about this issue, it is
quite confused for new comers. On one hand, they wanna follow the
mainline style to join our upstream family, on the other hand if they
duplicate some crap from other SoC families, they will bring us
trouble or more crap.

> So I am just wondering whether traditional
> ARM BSP way can still be accepted, or we must move to use device tree?
> but i have't seen any arm device tree codes enter mainline yet. but we
> can get those patches from linaro 2.6.38. So what's the plan for
> merging arm device tree?

I suggest you need a dedicated guy who will work on DT supporting for
your SoC. As I can tell from this thread, DT will be heavily supported
by other SoC soon.

> What i have seen is that the BSP architecture of different ARM SoC
> companies is even different.
>
> samsung has three levels:
> plat-samsung
>            plat-s3c24xx
>                     mach-s3c2410
>                     mach-s3c2440
>            plat-s5p
>                     mach-s5pv210
>                     mach-s5pv310
>
> TI has two levels:
> plat-omap
>            mach-omap1
>            mach-omap2
>
> Nvidia has one level:
> mach-tegra
>
> I didn't find any rule about what codes should be placed in what
> directories. Different companies have different ways. It looks like
> the only agreement is board files are in mach-xxx. Any suggestions for
> that?

That's totally frustrated for a new comer, I think. It's that possible
we do more unification firstly and then allow new comers to follow,
like:
plat-common (or just named 'plat')- common plat-common framework for
all ARM based SoC, which might contains IRQ framework, GPIO, Timer,
Clock, PWM or other common things
SoC players just need add one file to enable the platform common
things on their SoC such as plat-omap.c, plat-imx.c, plat-samsung.c
and etc.

mach-'soc' - for machine or board related code, such as mach-omap,
mach-imx .., or maybe we can also introduce mach-common to share other
machine or board layer common code. I guess it will be some machine
related API common functions.

It's just a simple idea, we still need lots of work to make that happen.

Thanks,
-Bryan