[GIT PULL] omap changes for v2.6.39 merge window

Nicolas Pitre nico at fluxnic.net
Fri Apr 1 15:54:47 EDT 2011

On Fri, 1 Apr 2011, Arnd Bergmann wrote:

> On Friday 01 April 2011, Detlef Vollmann wrote:

> > > The ones that are causing the churn that we're talking about.
> > > Platforms that have been working forever and only need to get
> > > the occasional bug fix are boring, i.e. not the problem.
> > In the ARM tree I only know mach-at91.
> > Atmel still introduces new SOCs based on ARM926EJ-S, and that makes
> > perfect sense for lots of applications.
>
> I thought new ones were generally Cortex-M3 based. Either way, even
> if there are exceptions, focusing on ARMv7 at first should give
> a good representation of the new development.

The actual CPU core doesn't matter at all.  Whether it is ARM926EJ-S,
XScale, PJ4 or Cortex-A8/A9, _that_ is the part that is extremely well
maintained and abstracted already.  The focus should instead be put on
those platforms that are the most used irrespective of their cores.  And
by selecting the most used platforms, we have a greater chance to create
community momentum, and good examples will be spread more quickly.

> > > True. For embedded, this would not be an important thing to do, but
> > > also not hurt.
> > It costs you flash space.
>
> Well, the idea was not to force everyone to enable all options. When this
> is done right, the kernel would not be any bigger.

With many SOCs each with their own peculiarities, the kernel would
obviously grow bigger.  But the major advantage of being _able_ to do
that is not ultimately to have only one kernel with multi-board support
even if in some context this has great value, but rather to enforce good
code reuse and abstraction.

Russell suggested that we enable CONFIG_ARM_PATCH_PHYS_VIRT by
default.  This is already one way to remove one of the most
fundamental board specific piece of information that can be deduced at
run time instead of having compile time constants per SOC.

I however don't think it is practical to go off in a separate
mach-nocrap space and do things in parallel.  Taking OMAP as an example,
there is already way too big of an infrastructure in place to simply
rewrite it in parallel to new OMAP versions coming up.

It would be more useful and scalable to simply sit down, look at the
current mess, and identify common patterns that can be easily factored
out into some shared library code, and all that would be left in the
board or SOC specific files eventually is the data to register with that
library code.  Nothing so complicated as grand plans or planification
that makes it look like a mountain.

Two patterns were identified so far, and they are:

1) GPIO drivers

   As Linus observed, in the majority of the cases GPIOs are accessed
   through simple memory-mapped registers.  Some have absolute state
   registers, the others have separate clear/set registers.  Suffice to
   create two generic GPIO drivers each covering those two common cases,
   and those generic drivers would simply register with the higher level
   gpiolib code, and all the board code would have to do is to provide
   the data for those GPIOs (register offsets, number of GPIOs, etc.).
   Whether this data eventually comes from DT is an orthogonal issue.

2) IRQ chip drivers

   Again, as Thomas observed, the same issue exists with the majority of
   the IRQ chip drivers.  Most of them follow a common simple pattern
   that can be abstracted in some generic library code due to their very
   similar mode of operation.  Writing a common driver would leave the
   board specific code with only a data table describing hardware
   registers.

A good example of such rationalization that already happened is the
leds-gpio driver (./drivers/leds/leds-gpio.c), or similarly the
gpio-keys driver (drivers/input/keyboard/gpio_keys.c).  I remember when
those board files were implementing their own simple drivers hooking
directly to the input API or the LED API.

After that let's take another identified common pattern and factorize it
out from board code.  That might be timers (see RMK's recent
sched_clock() rationalization).  That might be clocks (patches from
Jeremy Kerr exist and need merged). Etc.

Eventually we won't be able to find any more identifiable patterns which
are factorisable, and what will be left in board files is only genuine
SOC differences.  And if all that is left is actually only data tables,
then maybe such board files could go entirely and that data be passed
via device tree, but that is still a long way off.

I think what is needed here is a bunch of people willing to work on such
things, extracting those common patterns, and creating the
infrastructure to cover them.  Once that is in place then we will be in
a position to push back on code submissions that don't use that
infrastructure, and be on the lookout for new patterns to emerge.

Just with the above I think there is sufficient work to keep us busy for
a while.

Nicolas