pxa3xx_nand issues

pieterg pieterg at gmx.com
Mon Sep 27 09:50:50 EDT 2010

On Monday 27 September 2010 14:22:37 Lei Wen wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 7:54 PM, pieterg <pieterg at gmx.com> wrote:

> >> PXA3xx NAND controller write semantic is to send whole page of data to
> >> the NAND flash with
> >> the page's address. If you set the ndcr1 not page align value, it is
> >> also fine by pxa3xx_nand
> >> sending the data to the flash, but nand flash would not accept this
> >> kind of behavior as
> >> it is defined in its spec.
> >>
> >> Certainly, if you really need to do this, there is still has ways. :)
> >> Send the RANDOM DATA INPUT command (0x80 + 5cycle address + 0x85 +
> >> 2cycles column address) + 0x10 would serve this.
> >> But seems the pxa310 cannot do such job, which is supported by newer
> >> silicon in pxa168 or mmp2.

> >> You may notice that when a new file system is mounted, the flash is
> >> only read by controller.
> >> This mean your uboot is all right for writing, and your kernel is also
> >> ok for reading.
> >> While your driver write function may got broken. Timing? Not so
> >> sure...

> >> Em, Although ERR_SBERR indicate this error can be corrected by nand
> >> controller, it
> >> still make sense to report this to upper level. FS like UBIFS could
> >> use this message to
> >> do the flash data integrity maintenance. This already be fixed in my
> >> patch set which
> >> sent a month ago.

> >> Biterr may be caused by timing, bad block... I think you'd better use
> >> the mtd test built in linux
> >> kernel to make sure timing is all right.
> >
> > Which mtd test in particular?
> > I've run most tests, without any errors:
> >
> > -oobtest (complains only about read-past-oob-size not returning a
> > proper error)
> > -pagetest
> > -subpagetest
> > -readtest
> > -speedtest
> >
> > Not even a single bit error during any of those tests.
>
> That is so weird...
> Does your jffs2 image make correct? Page size and block size set right?

I think so.
--eraseblock=0x20000 --pad --no-cleanmarkers
I'm not specifying a --pagesize because as far as I understand, this is not
related to the flash page. So the default (4K) should be fine.

But just to rule out any mkfs.jffs2 related problems, I've also tried to
mount an empty partition, and copy my rootfs contents into it.
That results in the exact same kind of problems.

> You must know that if you write twice on one page, you could also see the
> double bit error or single bit error, but it doesn't relate with the
> bad block or
> timing. And this could explain why you could get all test passed in mtd
> tests.

Yes, it very much looks like that.
After the initial writing of the image and mounting the filesystem,
everything is still fine. But after making changes to the mounted
filesystem, the problems start.
But I cannot see how/why jffs2 would decide to write without erasing first.
The problems start in the first eraseblock after the last one written with
nandwrite.
That block was definitely erased with flash_eraseall (I obviously erased the
entire partition), no cleanmarkers were written, so even an immediate page
write by jffs2 would be fine.

(this is not only a jffs2 issue by the way, tried ubifs as well, though I
did not test it as thorougly as jffs2; as soon as I saw the first double
bit error with ubifs I assumed the situation was the same and I could just
as well stick to jffs2 to debug this problem)

Rgds, Pieter