pxa3xx_nand issues

pieterg pieterg at gmx.com
Wed Sep 22 13:12:24 EDT 2010

In my search for the cause of the huge number of single/double bit errors
I'm experiencing on colibri pxa320/310 devices, I've come across this
commit

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/ycmiao/pxa-linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=7f9938d0fd6c778bd0ce296a3e3b50266de2b892

According to the commitlog, it attempts to work around an issue regarding
non-page-aligned reads.
The workaround seems to force page-aligned access, by dropping the offset
within the page (column address bytes).
However, in my setup (with a jffs2 filesystem on nand), non-page-aligned
reads never occur, but non-page-aligned writes occur very frequently.
(during the jffs2 gc).
These are also affected by this commit, while the commitlog does not state
whether or not the same issue would occur for the program command, and in
that case, whether or not the same workaround would apply.

I've tried to revert the commit, but unfortunately this doesn't reduce the
huge number of single/double bit errors (and jffs2 crc errors as a result)
I'm getting.

But having these non-aligned writes during GC, would that indicate a problem
with my jffs2 image parameters perhaps?
(though I cannot imagine this could actually cause double bit errors)

Rgds, Pieter