Maximum bootable kernel size in current ARM linux

Bruce M. Penrod bmpenrod at endruntechnologies.com
Wed Sep 15 16:30:28 EDT 2010

Nicolas Pitre wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Sep 2010, Bruce M. Penrod wrote:
>

>> Nicolas Pitre wrote:

>>> When it breaks, do you still see the "Uncompressing Linux... done, booting
>>> the kernel." message?
>>>

>>> Nicolas
>>>
>> I think it depended upon how "too big" the kernel was.  With one only slightly
>> larger than 4 MB, I did see "Uncompressing Linux...", but not "done, booting
>> the kernel."  With a very large kernel (15MB), nothing printed at all.
>>
>> I have not retested since successfully booting one slightly smaller than 4096
>> * 1024.  When I do, I will post the results.  Should happen today.
>
> OK.  Also please provide the size of your arch/arm/boot/zImage as well
> as arch/arm/boot/Image.  Also, at what address do you load your kernel
> in memory?
>

> Nicolas

U-Boot loads the zImage at 0x800000.  Yesterday I added features back
into the kernel and am up to 4600 * 1024 with no issues.  So definitely
not a hard limit at 4MB.  It takes quite a while to compile on the
OpenRD, so it may take a while for me to discover the magic combination
that doesn't work.  I removed a LOT of stuff, and I'd rather add it back
in gradually to get an idea whether it is a size issue or some bad other
thing with a combination of options.

--
Bruce Penrod