Maximum bootable kernel size in current ARM linux

Marek Vasut marek.vasut at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 04:43:48 EDT 2010

Dne Po 13. září 2010 09:40:56 Bruce M. Penrod napsal(a):
> This seems like a pretty straightforward question, but extensive web
> searching hasn't shown a really clear, up-to-date answer.  The most
> recent info is circa 2004 and states that 4MB is the largest
> uncompressed ARM kernel that may be loaded.  Not being an ARM assembly
> guru (head.S baffles me), I'd like to know if that is still true in
> 2010, and if it is, why?
>
> I'm having one hell of a time compiling a monolithic kernel and keeping
> it under 4M without leaving out some core networking features I need.
>  From my searching, it looks like x86 has either removed the limit or
> raised it to a much higher number.  It's not clear to me why a 32 bit
> processor would not be able to boot a kernel larger than 4 MB.

Hey, CCed Russell.

Btw. this shouldn't be true anymore. On the other hand, why do you need such a
huge kernel?

It's not even possible to create kernel that big if you don't have some kind of
initramfs in, right? Besides, you can use some kind of a compression, like LZMA
or something to keep the size down.

Cheers