mv643xx_eth and MDIO bus PM resume

Simon Guinot simon at sequanux.org
Sun Sep 12 17:32:40 EDT 2010

Hi Saeed,

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 01:17:28PM +0200, saeed bishara wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 4:07 PM, Simon Guinot <simon at sequanux.org> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am trying to get some PM support for Kirkwood machines and I have to
> > deal with the MDIO bus driver which trigger a kernel crash at resume.
> >
> > The Kirkwood SoC Ethernet driver is mv643xx_eth and don't use the PAL
> > machine state. The PHY is handled by calling manually PHY functions.
> >
> > The problem is that the current mdio_bus_resume() implementation
> > _always_ start at resume the PAL state machine even if the driver can't
> > handle that. That's the mv643xx_eth case, which don't provide the
> > adjust_link() method.
> >
> > Any hint to fix this issue is welcome.
> Simon, can you please post your patch to this driver that adds PM support?

Sorry I don't have a such patch yet. For now, I am still working on the
core power management support.

If you want test, some patches are available at:

git://lacie-nas.org/lacie-orion.git pm

And the web url is:

http://git.lacie-nas.org/?p=lacie-orion.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/pm

The next step is to add PM support for the driver mv643xx_eth. As the PM
core turn off the GE unit clock, probably that some driver code is
needed to handle suspend and resume. Maybe do you have a such patch ?

Concerning the mdio_bus_resume() issue, I think it is not related with
the Ethernet driver. At resume the MDIO bus automatically start the PAL
state machine, even if the adjust_link() function is not supplied. Just
add a check is probably good enough.

Simon