cmpxchg() in recent kernels

Aras Vaichas arasv at magellan-technology.com
Tue Oct 26 08:10:08 EDT 2010

2010/10/26 Uwe Kleine-König <u.kleine-koenig at pengutronix.de>:
> Hello Aras,
>
>> For reference, this is my uImage make script:
>>
>> make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=${CROSS_PATH} INSTALL_MOD_PATH=${FS_PATH} Image
>>
>> ${CROSS_PATH}objcopy -O binary -R .note -R .note.gnu.build-id -R
>> .comment -S vmlinux linux.bin
>
> Why don't you use arch/arm/boot/Image instead of doing the objcopy
> yourself?  (If it's intended you might want to make vmlinux only instead
> of Image.)

My best guess is that it's carried over from my 2.4.x days.

A quick Google search shows several U-Boot image building tutorials
that do this.

e.g.  http://www.ronetix.at/an008_ARM_Linux_Debugging.html

It was never a problem until GCC v4 was required for a clean kernel
build but I will certainly review my build scripts with this in mind.
:)

I only do kernel work every few years as needed for the company
product, so I tend to play catchups on these changes.

Aras