pxa3xx_nand issues

pieterg pieterg at gmx.com
Fri Oct 1 02:55:52 EDT 2010

On Friday 01 October 2010 02:15:09 Marek Vasut wrote:
> Dne Po 27. září 2010 19:39:04 pieterg napsal(a):
> > >
> > > I think so.
> > > --eraseblock=0x20000 --pad --no-cleanmarkers
> >
> > Well... that caused most of my problems.
> > --pad means pad to eraseblock size, not pagesize.
> > So the first writes in the new filesystem would cause pages in that
> > last eraseblock to be overwritten.
> > With SLC I always got away with that, but with MLC, clearly not.
> >
> > (now I'm still left with lots of singlebit errors, and occasional jffs2
> > CRC errors, pxa3xx_nand was obviously not meant to deal with such low
> > quality MLC, no action is taken on bit errors, but at least everything
> > can be explained now)
> >
> > Thanks everybody for helping me find the cause of this problem.
>
> So this is closed?

Yes, I guess what remains (many single bit errors, and occasional double bit
errors) is 'normal' for this type of MLC NAND.
Still not happy with it, especially since there is no way to recover when
double bit errors occur, but for now this will have to do.

> btw. wont ubifs be better choice for such a big flash ?

Certainly, it's on my list (after I've updated to the latest u-boot to get
ubi support there as well)

Rgds, Pieter