Default machine include placements

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Mon Jan 25 05:05:47 EST 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 04:02:56AM +0000, Ben Dooks wrote:
> Currently in the s3c/s5p familt we're seeing quite a number of the
> same things being repeated for items like entry-macro.S, hardware.h
> and so on.
>
> The first question is about adding include/mach directories to
> eitehr plat-s5p or plat-samsung to mop up the files that keep
> getting repeated (since the plat-* directories are processed after
> the machine directory includes the mach-xxx are still free to overide
> these as necessary)
>
> The second question is whether some of these files should have defaults
> in arch/arm/include? I think this might be less useful as build failures
> for new ports ensure that at-least these files are thought about

No - doing this means it's harder to find out what's going on.  Rather
than being able to look in arch/arm/mach-*/include for the relevant
mach header file and know you've got the right one, you have to instead
consider whether the one you're using is the one found in
arch/arm/mach-*/include/mach, arch/arm/plat-*/include/mach or
arch/arm/include/mach.

Having multiple places where include files can live is a nightmare; you
only have to look at glibc to know that - where you have to search the
entire source looking for the header file you want.