32-bit Thumb-2 breakpoints

Daniel Jacobowitz dan at debian.org
Mon Jan 11 16:58:16 EST 2010

I have been working the past week on GDB support for Thumb-2.  It
turns out that there's a case where we need a 32-bit software
breakpoint instruction to get things right (explanation below).

The kernel currently reserves two architecturally undefined
instructions for breakpoints, one ARM and one Thumb.  I suggest
another for Thumb-2, provisionally 0xfff7 0xffcf, but I'm open
to any other suggestion.  Any comments?  If that sounds OK,
I can put together a patch.

The problem I'm solving is that of stepping through IT blocks.  We
shouldn't use the BKPT instruction, which would interfere with an
attached hardware debugger.  The undefined instruction pattern
currently used as a breakpoint will not trigger an exception if the IT
block flags prevent its execution.  And without adding most of a
Thumb-2 simulator to GDB, we can't statically predict what the
of the following instructions in the IT block will be executed.
For example:

   cmp   r0, r0
   itt   eq