USB mass storage and ARM cache coherency

Catalin Marinas catalin.marinas at arm.com
Fri Feb 26 11:44:34 EST 2010

On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 02:39 +0000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 17:15 +0000, Catalin Marinas wrote:
> > > We assume that anybody that dirties a page in the kernel will call
> > > flush_dcache_page() which removes our PG_arch_1 bit thus marking the
> > > page "dirty".
> >
> > This assumption is not valid with some drivers like USB HCD doing PIO.
> > But, yes, that's how it should be done.
>
> So we go back to the fix should be done at the individual drivers level.
> If it's going to write into the page cache, it needs to whack the bits.
>
> Now there's of course the question as to whether you really only want to
> do that for a PIO access and not for a DMA access, I think on power, we
> don't really discriminate that much (since in any case our icache still
> needs flushing). Maybe it would be useful to separate the I$ and D$ bits
> but I'm not sure I can be bothered.

On ARM, update_mmu_cache() invalidates the I-cache (if VM_EXEC)
independent of whether the D-cache was dirty (since we can get
speculative fetches into the I-cache before it was even mapped).

> > > Note that from experience, doing the check & flushes in
> > > update_mmu_cache() is racy on SMP. At least for I$/D$, we have the case
> > > where processor one does set_pte followed by update_mmu_cache(). The
> > > later isn't done yet but processor 2 sees the PTE now and starts using
> > > it, cache hasn't been fully flushed yet. You may avoid that race in some
> > > ways, but on ppc, I've stopped using that.
> >
> > I think that's possible on ARM too. Having two threads on different
> > CPUs, one thread triggers a prefetch abort (instruction page fault) on
> > CPU0 but the second thread on CPU1 may branch into this page after
> > set_pte() (hence not fault) but before update_mmu_cache() doing the
> > flush.
> >
> > On ARM11MPCore we flush the caches in flush_dcache_page() because the
> > cache maintenance operations weren't visible to the other CPUs.
>
> I'm not even sure that's going to be 100% correct. Don't you also need
> to flush the remote icaches when you are dealing with instructions (such
> as swap) anyways ?

I don't think we tried swap but for pages that have been mapped for the
first time, the I-cache would be clean. At mm switching, if a thread
migrates to a new CPU we invalidate the cache at that point.

> I've had some discussions in the past with Russell and others around the
> problem of non-broadcast cache ops on ARM SMP since that's also hurting
> you hard with dma mappings.
>
> Can you issue IPIs as FIQs if needed (from my old ARM knowledge, FIQs
> are still on even in local_irq_save() blocks right ? I haven't touched
> low level ARM for years tho, I may have forgotten things).

I have a patch for using IPIs via IRQ from the DMA API functions but,
while it works, it can deadlock with some drivers (complex situation).
Note that the patch added a specific IPI implementation which can cope
with interrupts being disabled (unlike the generic one).

My latest solution - http://bit.ly/apJv3O - is to use dummy
read-for-ownership or write-for-ownership accesses in the DMA cache
flushing functions to force cache line migration from the other CPUs.
Our current benchmarks only show around 10% disc throughput penalty
compared to the normal SMP case (compared to the UP case the penalty is
bigger but that's due to other things).

--
Catalin