PL-330 DMA driver

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Wed Feb 17 15:31:14 EST 2010

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 07:26:00PM +0100, Linus Walleij wrote:
> 2010/2/17 jassi brar <jassisinghbrar at gmail.com>:
>
> > Could maintainers please suggest what is the best place for the PL330
> > controller driver?
>
> drivers/dma/amba-pl033.c would be my bet.
>
> I have patches to support MMCI (PL180/PL181) using the generic DMA
> engine pending, I will attempt to submit patches for spi/amba-pl022.c and
> serial/amba-pl011.c when I get the time.

One of the problems with the DMA engine APIs are that the data needed to
setup the non-device side is opaque - in other words, it's specific to
the DMA engine being used.

This means primecell drivers can't define this data; they don't know what
kind of DMA engine will be used - and I'm not sure passing it in from
the platform side of things makes much sense either.

Unless... we define a base structure for DMA engines used with primecell
peripherals...