race between kmap shootdown and cache maintenance

Gary King GKing at nvidia.com
Mon Feb 8 23:00:53 EST 2010

The patch is not a no-op; without this patch I was seeing panics in v7_flush_kern_dcache about 1 time in 3 boots, with it the crash has not reproduced in hundreds of boots.

However, from re-reading the highmem code, I think my original description of the cause of the crash was slightly mistaken:

Kmap zero-flushing is lazy (it happens on the subsequent call to kmap), and the page_address is not set to NULL until the lazy-flush happens. In this case, if page_address is called immediately following a kunmap call which resulted in the pin count dropping to 1, a valid address will be returned.

On SMP or PREEMPT kernels, kmap may be called in one context during cache maintenance on one of these pages in a different context, resulting in flush_all_zero_pkmaps invalidating the PTE (and TLB) of the pages that is actively undergoing maintenance.

- Gary