Cache maintenance on page table updates

Christoffer Dall cdall at cs.columbia.edu
Thu Dec 2 11:39:58 EST 2010

Hi Catalin.

I am hoping you can help me understand the following observed behavior in KVM.

When I update the page table mappings' AP bits, it is for some reason
not enough to clean caches, but I must also invalidate them for the
changes to take effect. The system runs on an arm1136 processor and I
was under the impression that page table walks never read from the L1
cache. If this is true, I cannot understand why an invalidation of
caches would make a difference.

In the course of understanding this behavior I have come across the
RGN, S and C bits in the TTBR0. I don't quite understand how these
bits affect the memory system - should they simply match the way that
the page tables themselves are mapped in virtual memory or do they
somehow control how the page table walk mechanism behaves?

Thanks,
Christoffer