RMK is offline

Russell King rmk at ftp.linux.org.uk
Tue Apr 27 11:23:30 EDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 07:55:20PM +0100, Russell King wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 06:48:20PM +0100, Russell King wrote:
> > FYI, I've lost ADSL at 2am last night due to some planned engineering
> > works by the telco; currently there's no estimate on when things will
> > be returned.  Unfortunately, It's taken most of today to get the ISP
> > to note a fault - but seemingly they still haven't raised it with BT.
>
> Update: they raised it with BT, BT say there's no fault, so bounced the
> problem back to the ISP.  The ISP ran a check, and can see that there's
> a fault in the BT network, and so have bounced the fault back to BT
> again.
>
> So this fault is probably going to bounce back and forth between the ISP
> and BT forth for a while.
>
> It has exactly the same symptoms as the problem we had when BT switched
> us from the 20CN to 21CN stuff, so I'm not hopeful that anything will be
> resolved soon.
>
> As my only other net access is (currently) via other peoples connections
> (in this case, the gliding club) I will only be checking mail and maybe
> committing stuff to my git tree very sporadically - and probably won't
> be sending any pull requests to Linus until the BT situation is sorted.
>
> So in summary, please be patient, and please realise that this fault
> prevents me doing _any_ work what so ever - whether that be community or
> paid work.

Update: We've had a BT engineer visit, confirmed that there's a problem,
changed the equipment at the exchange... and the fault persists.

What we're left with is re-booking another BT engineer, which can only
happen once the present engineer has closed off his visit - which is
estimated at around 17:30-18:00 BST today.  So the earliest appointment
is likely to be Thursday.

Obviously, we're finding this situation is completely unacceptable,
especially as the package we're on as a business is supposed to have a
"fault clearance time of 40 hours".

So, sit tight; everything that can be done is being done at our end to
rectify this problem as quickly as BT's snails will allow.