git an patches: Some questions

Christian Gagneraud cgagneraud at techworks.ie
Fri Oct 2 16:21:34 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I would like to have some advice on how to manage my git tree, patches
that I pick on this list (EP93XX related) and patches that I would
like to submit (TS-72XX related).

First of all I would like to know what tools people are using, I've
read about stg [1][2] and it looks to me that it fits well my needs.

Next, I'm would like to know the best strategy to track the latest
patches from linux-arm and at the same time work on my own patches.
Should I create a branch, say ep93xx, that track linux tree and on
which i apply the EP93xx patches, and set up another branch, say
ts72xx, that track the ep93xx branch? Or should i use only one branch
and use "stg import" for patches I'm not the author and "stg new" for
my own work.

Using stg import/new looks interesting, but then if I want to submit
my patches by email, stg will send all the patch part of the series
including the one that I've imported but that's not what I'm looking for.

Any help, advice or point-out appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris

[1] http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Hints_on_using_GIT_and_stgit
[2] http://www.procode.org/stgit/doc/tutorial.html