AW: MX3 SDMA?

Wolf, Rene, HRO-GP rene.wolf at mbda-systems.de
Mon Nov 23 04:39:15 EST 2009

Hi All,

> The last attempt was made by someone in September but I didn't
> see any result at all:

I'm still waiting to get a green light on my work, sorry.

What I did was to port the API as found in LTIB to 2.6.31.
But I couldn't test it fully. I only tried to register a DMA chan.,
which works, and shows up in '/proc/sdma/channels'.
And as written in
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2009-September/001219.html
there's still SOME work ahead. For once, matching the conventions
among i.MX SoCs. The other thing is the binary code inside the SDMA
driver, wich will not be allowed inside the kernel and must be
ported to get loaded from user space.

If one wants to do this the clean way, I would suggest, writing an
assembler for the SDMA. The information provided in the official
reference manual of the i.MX31 should be sufficient for that. Then
one should analyze the API provided by LTIB and check how to get
the code up and running inside the SDMA. After that, a new and
clean API (the one from LTIB is quite confusing) must be written.

I hope that this will help somebody, coz I do not have the resources
at the moment, to either complete the first, or start the latter :-(

Cheers
Rene

Rene Wolf
LFK-Lenkflugkörpersysteme GmbH
Human Resources Operations & Policy, HRO
Landshuter Straße 26, 85716 Unterschleißheim, GERMANY
Phone: +49 89 3179 8337
Fax: +49 8252 99 8964
E-Mail: rene.wolf at mbda-systems.de

http://www.mbda.net

Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Antoine Bouvier
Managing Director: Werner Kaltenegger
Registered Office: Schrobenhausen
Commercial Register: Amtsgericht Ingolstadt, HRB 4365