shared memory problem on ARM v5TE using threads

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Sun Dec 13 07:06:15 EST 2009

On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 12:00:33PM +0000, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> I'm afraid to say that the only solution I can see to this problem is to
> disable the L2 cache outright on these CPUs - the choice seems to be
> between correct system behaviour and lower performance, or performance
> but buggy system behaviour in certain cases leading to data corruption.

BTW, if no one can come up with a solution for this, we need to consider
making the kernel by default disable L2 cache on Feroceon, and display a
warning message if L2 is to be enabled.

We really can not have a known data corrupting issue like this exist
silently in the system - it's not fair for users nor developers to waste
time trying to work out why their data is being corrupted.