YUV Display

Neil Armstrong narmstrong at baylibre.com
Mon Nov 29 02:27:20 PST 2021

Hi,

On 27/11/2021 08:06, E Honsch wrote:
> I've been using an ODroid C2 for our race car dashboard and we decided to upgrade the screen to a more dashboard friendly size. We ended up going with this one: https://www.waveshare.com/wiki/11.9inch_HDMI_LCD
>
> What they didn't mention is that is only takes YUV data.

this is weird, DVI mandates RGB support by default, YUV is only for HDMI display with the DRM_EDID_HDMI_DC_Y444 is EDID.

> After digging around I figured out that YUV scanout isn't yet supported in the meson drm.

It is, when display is an HDMI display that support DRM_EDID_HDMI_DC_Y444 it will scanout in YUV instead of RGB by default,

> How far away from being able to support YUV is the code currently?  Does the documentation exist to implement the feature?  If the information is around I'd take a stab at getting it going if someone points me in the right direction.

Could you give more details about which kernel you run and what makes you think YUV isn't supported.

Neil