ODROID-C1/-C2 USB Detection only triggered by some devices

Matt Corallo oc2udbzfd at mattcorallo.com
Sun Jun 27 18:05:25 PDT 2021

On 6/27/21 20:58, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 27, 2021 at 08:32:21PM -0400, Matt Corallo wrote:
>> On an ODROID-C1/C2 device, using the dwc2 driver, only some devices cause USB bus to enumerate devices.
>>
>> Specifically, both on boot and during normal operation, if some devices are
>> plugged in, all USB devices are detected, but if those devices are removed,
>> no detection of any devices occurs.
>
> So if you boot with no devices plugged in, and then you plug in (say) a
> flash drive, it doesn't get detected?

There is a separate and long-standing bug on the ODROID-C1 and ODROID-C2 devices where hotplug doesn't work reliably,
which is why I mentioned rebooting. This specific bug all works identically whether booting fresh with the devices or
testing hotplug (which sometimes works with lsusb -vvv).

>> I sadly don't have a lot more to go on, but xdarklight on IRC (I believe ==
>> Martin, CC'd) confirmed the findings with a grab bag of USB devices he had
>> sitting around as well, and may be able to provide CONFIG_USB_DWC2_DEBUG
>> output.
>>
>> Any further guidance on where to look to debug this issue would be appreciated.
>>
>> As a sample, some devices which, when plugged in (either alone or together)
>> do not cause any USB device detection (see attached lsusb -v files):
>>
>> Samsung T7 USB 3 drive
>> Samsung-Branded Silicon Motion USB 3 Flash Drive
>>
>> Some devices which, when plugged in cause all USB devices to be detected:
>>
>> Mushkin-Branded Kingston USB 3 Flash Drive
>> Kingston-Branded Kingston USB 2 Flash Drive
>> USB-3 MicroSD Card reader (lsusb/testing by xdarklight)
>> SanDisk USB 3 Flash Drive (lsusb/testign by xdkarlight)
>
> This could simply be a question of power.  Most of the flash drives and
> the card reader probably don't require very much power, whereas some of
> them need more.  You can this, to some extent, in the MaxPower fields of
> the lsusb -v listings.

That seems strange, though, given that the first group of devices appear and work totally fine, but only when something
from the second group of devices is plugged in. If the second group is not present, then the first group of devices do
not appear at all.

> Do things work better if you plug these devices into a powered hub
> rather than directly into the computer?  If the hub can provide the
> power that these devices need, the computer won't be overloaded.

I don't have a powered hub handy, sadly. Maybe Martin does and can comment when he wakes.

Matt