ODROID-C1/-C2 USB Detection only triggered by some devices

Alan Stern stern at rowland.harvard.edu
Sun Jun 27 17:58:25 PDT 2021

On Sun, Jun 27, 2021 at 08:32:21PM -0400, Matt Corallo wrote:
> On an ODROID-C1/C2 device, using the dwc2 driver, only some devices cause USB bus to enumerate devices.
>
> Specifically, both on boot and during normal operation, if some devices are
> plugged in, all USB devices are detected, but if those devices are removed,
> no detection of any devices occurs.

So if you boot with no devices plugged in, and then you plug in (say) a
flash drive, it doesn't get detected?

> I sadly don't have a lot more to go on, but xdarklight on IRC (I believe ==
> Martin, CC'd) confirmed the findings with a grab bag of USB devices he had
> sitting around as well, and may be able to provide CONFIG_USB_DWC2_DEBUG
> output.
>
> Any further guidance on where to look to debug this issue would be appreciated.
>
> As a sample, some devices which, when plugged in (either alone or together)
> do not cause any USB device detection (see attached lsusb -v files):
>
> Samsung T7 USB 3 drive
> Samsung-Branded Silicon Motion USB 3 Flash Drive
>
> Some devices which, when plugged in cause all USB devices to be detected:
>
> Mushkin-Branded Kingston USB 3 Flash Drive
> Kingston-Branded Kingston USB 2 Flash Drive
> USB-3 MicroSD Card reader (lsusb/testing by xdarklight)
> SanDisk USB 3 Flash Drive (lsusb/testign by xdkarlight)

This could simply be a question of power.  Most of the flash drives and
the card reader probably don't require very much power, whereas some of
them need more.  You can this, to some extent, in the MaxPower fields of
the lsusb -v listings.

Do things work better if you plug these devices into a powered hub
rather than directly into the computer?  If the hub can provide the
power that these devices need, the computer won't be overloaded.

Alan Stern