[RFC] gpio: about the need to manage irq mapping dynamically.

Jerome Brunet jbrunet at baylibre.com
Thu Jun 29 07:57:18 PDT 2017

On Thu, 2017-06-29 at 16:14 +0200, Linus Walleij wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 8:25 PM, Jerome Brunet <jbrunet at baylibre.com> wrote:
>
> > At the time Linus strongly rejected the idea of calling  irq_create_mapping
> > (or
> > any sleeping functions) in gpio_to_irq: please see the reply from Oct 26,
> > 2016
> > (sorry for quoting such an old discussion but this is really the starting
> > point)
> >
> > * Me: There is really a *lot* of gpio drivers which use irq_create_mapping
> > in
> > the to_irq callback, are these all wrong ?
> > * Linus: Yes they are all wrong. They should all be using
> > irq_find_mapping().
> >
> > * Me: If this should not be used, what should we all do instead ?
> > * Linus: Call irq_create_mapping() in some other place.
> >
> > gpio_prepare_irq is a proposition for this 'other place'.
>
> There is a misunderstanding here.
>
> I wrote (at the time):
>
> > Yes, but you want to call irq_create_mapping() in slowpath (irq setup)
> > and irq_find_mapping() in fastpath (irq handler). Else the first IRQ
> > may result in unwelcomed surprises.
>
> This does not mean that irq_create_mapping() cannot be called
> in irq context because I think it can.
>
> What it means is that I think that is suboptimal from a performance
> point of view if called from gpio_to_irq(), because nominally, at this
> point, the mapping should already exist, since the GPIO and IRQ
> frameworks are orthogonal.

Agreed. It should. In such case, irq_create_mapping is just a call to
irq_find_mapping which is fine. If, for whatever reason this is not the case,
this is going to call sleeping function in irq context. It should not happen but
it is not entirely impossible ...

> But that may not apply to the case with many-to-few interrupt
> mappings... so I think I was in some 1-to-1-mapping context
> when I wrote this. Sorry :(
>
> So I changed my mind, it is fine for this type of driver to call
> irq_create_mapping() in gpio_to_irq(). Preferably with some comment
> around the call.

What about disposing of the mapping ? there still is no counter part function to
gpio_to_irq. It seems weird to leave them lying around, don't you think ?

Here is a real use we will be having a meson:
* MMC driver load and call gpio_to_irq on its cd pin
  This is going to create a mapping
* MMC driver request an irq with IRQ_EDGE_BOTH trigger (which we don't/can't
  support at the moment). request_irq fails.
* MMC defaults to polling the GPIO

Remember that we have only 8 possibles mappings. Now there is one (useless)
mapping lying around which can't get rid of.

If there is more drivers doing this sort of tricks, we are going to exhaust the
ressource pretty quickly.

That's just one exemple. The fact is, as soon as a driver calls gpio_to_irq, the
mapping is going to stay forever. Don't you think we should try address this ?

I will happily (re)submit a patch with irq_create_mapping in gpio_to_irq to
bring the 'initial' gpio irq support in meson, until something better comes
up...

> It remains to see what happens if gpio_to_irq() would fail, as can
> happen in this case. Like if gpio_to_irq() would return 0 (NO_IRQ)
> or something negative. I think many drivers are not equipped for
> handling this.

I think this is already fine, gpio_to_irq is supposed to return 0 if there is no
mapping, isn't it ?

> So I guess if you could change the semantics of all drivers
> calling gpio_to_irq() to also handle say 0 as an error and bail
> out, we can call irq_create_mapping() in gpio_to_irq().
>
> Sorry if I'm confused... or confusing.

Aren't we all ... we'll get there, someday :)