[RFT net-next v2 0/3] dwmac-meson8b: RGMII clock fixes for Meson8b

Martin Blumenstingl martin.blumenstingl at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 28 08:58:34 PST 2017

Hi Emiliano,

thank you for testing this!

On Thu, Dec 28, 2017 at 5:16 PM, Emiliano Ingrassia
<ingrassia at epigenesys.com> wrote:
> Hi Martin, Hi Dave,
>
> On Sun, Dec 24, 2017 at 12:40:57AM +0100, Martin Blumenstingl wrote:
>> Hi Dave,
>>
>> please do not apply this series until it got a Tested-by from Emiliano.
>>

>> Hi Emiliano,
>>
>> you reported [0] that you couldn't get dwmac-meson8b to work on your
>> Odroid-C1. With your findings (register dumps, clk_summary output, etc.)
>> I think I was able to find a fix: it consists of two patches (which you
>> find in this series)
>>
>> Unfortunately I don't have any Meson8b boards with RGMII PHY so I could
>> only partially test this (I could only check if the clocks were
>> calculated correctly when using a dummy 500002394Hz input clock instead
>> of MPLL2).
>>
>> Could you please give this series a try and let me know about the
>> results?
>> You obviously still need your two "ARM: dts: meson8b" patches which
>> - add the amlogic,meson8b-dwmac" compatible to meson8b.dtsi
>> - enable Ethernet on the Odroid-C1
>>
>> I have tested this myself on a Khadas VIM (GXL SoC, internal RMII PHY)
>> and a Khadas VIM2 (GXM SoC, external RGMII PHY). Both are still working
>> fine (so let's hope that this also fixes your Meson8b issue :)).
>>

>> changes since v1 at [1]:
>> - changed the subject of the cover-letter to indicate that this is all
>>   about the RGMII clock
>> - added PATCH #1 which ensures that we don't unnecessarily change the
>>   parent clocks in RMII mode (and also makes the code easier to
>>   understand)
>> - changed subject of PATCH #2 (formerly PATCH #1) to state that this
>>   is about the RGMII clock
>> - added Jerome's Reviewed-by to PATCH #2 (formerly PATCH #1)
>> - replaced PATCH #3 (formerly PATCH #2) with one that sets
>>   CLK_SET_RATE_PARENT on the mux and thus re-configures the MPLL2 clock
>>   on Meson8b correctly
>>

> Really thank you for your help and effort. I tried your patch but
> unfortunately it didn't solve the problem.
this is probably my fault: I forgot to mention that it requires a fix
for the 32-bit SoCs in the clock driver ("clk: meson: mpll: use 64-bit
maths in params_from_rate", see [0]) to work properly

> Here is the new clk_summary:
>
> xtal                            1            1    24000000          0 0
>  sys_pll                        0            0  1200000000          0 0
>   cpu_clk                       0            0  1200000000          0 0
>  vid_pll                        0            0   732000000          0 0
>  fixed_pll                      2            2  2550000000          0 0
>   mpll2                         1            1   106250000          0 0
>    c9410000.ethernet#m250_sel   1            1   106250000          0 0
>     c9410000.ethernet#m250_div  1            1   106250000          0 0
>      c9410000.ethernet#m25_div  1            1    21250000          0 0
>
> which leads to a value of 0x70a1 in the prg0 ethernet register.
> As you can see, something is changed but the RGMII clock is not at 25 MHz.
> In particular, the bit 10 of prg0, which enables the "generation of 25 MHz
> clock for PHY" (see S805 manual), is 0.
assuming that the description in the datasheet is correct
after Kevin and Mike got updated information from Amlogic about the
PRG_ETHERNET0 register documenation (see [1]) we thought that bit 10
means "0 = divide by 5, 1 = divide by 10" (see [2]). I didn't question
this so far, but I'll test this on a newer SoC later (by forcing
m250_div to 125MHz, then m25_div will have register value 0 = divide
by 5)

if the description from the documentation is correct then we need to
replace m25_div with a fixed-factor clock (mult = 1, div = 5) and make
it a m25_en gate clock instead
the resulting clock path would look like this: mpll2 > m250_sel >
m250_div > fixed_factor > m25_en

> Please, if you have other suggestions let me know.
could you please re-test this with the patch from [0] applied? no
other changes should be needed!

> Best regards,
>
> Emiliano
>

>> [0] http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-amlogic/2017-December/005596.html
>> [1] http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-amlogic/2017-December/005848.html
>>

>> Martin Blumenstingl (3):
>>   net: stmmac: dwmac-meson8b: only configure the clocks in RGMII mode
>>   net: stmmac: dwmac-meson8b: fix setting the RGMII clock on Meson8b
>>   net: stmmac: dwmac-meson8b: propagate rate changes to the parent clock
>>
>>  .../net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/dwmac-meson8b.c    | 55 +++++++++++-----------
>>  1 file changed, 27 insertions(+), 28 deletions(-)
>>
>> --
>> 2.15.1

Regards
Martin