kafs-client (recent strangeness of with add_key)

Bill MacAllister bill at ca-zephyr.org
Mon Jan 2 11:37:09 PST 2023

On 2023-01-02 11:02, Jeffrey E Altman wrote:
> On 1/2/2023 1:45 PM, Bill MacAllister (bill at ca-zephyr.org) wrote:
>> On 2022-12-13 23:57, Bill MacAllister wrote:
>>
>>> I have been working on making changes.  I started out by making a
>>> rather
>>> disastrous merge on my github repository.  I will replace it with
>>> something
>>> more sane later this week.
>>
>> I have finally update my github repository.  I renamed the old, mangle
>> repository
>> to kafs-client-archived.  The current kafs-client repository contains
>> my latest
>> work.
>>
> Bill,
>
> Thank you and Happy New Year!.
>
> It would be best if the version in Debian tracks the upstream
> repository that David manages.

Part of the problem with my "disastrous merge" was that I arbitrarily
created
a new upstream version.  That was a mistake.  The current work is still
based on
David's 0.5.  Debian versions add a "-n" suffix to the upstream version
indicate the Debian version.  The version in bullseye, current stable,
is 0.5-2.
My version uploaded to debian testing, bookworm, is 0.5-3.  The bottom
line is
that the Debian version is still based on the upstream 0.5.

kafs-client 0.5-3 has a set of patches that are maintained in the
debian/patches directory that are applied to the upstream version by the
package builder.  These patches should be able to applied directory to
the upstream version.

> I've pointed David and Marc at https://github.com/whm/kafs-client.
> Hopefully, the relevant changes can be applied there and a consistent
> version number can be used everywhere.  David's repo is the upstream
> for Fedora and EPEL builds.

It would be great to have a new upstream version.  If the changes we
have
been making are a problem with anyone please let me, us, know.

Bill

--
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without
evidence."