Proposed pre-emptive libusbx announcement for libusb-devel

Pete Batard pete at akeo.ie
Tue Jan 31 07:27:04 EST 2012

Below is the proposed message I am planning to send to libusb-devel,
since I have now utterly screwed things up with regards to libusbx secrecy.

Title would be: "libusb-1.0 fork in the works: libusbx"
As some of you may have inferred from my last message, and due to the
continuing absence of new releases from libusb.org, please be aware that
few of us have started working on a forked version called libusbx.

While the first libusbx release is still some time away, and we're in
the process of setting up the infrastructure, there is integration work
going on already, with the aim of achieving a release before the end of
February.

Therefore, if you are interested in contributing to the upcoming libusbx
releases, or would like to discuss any other topic that may be of
interest, feel free to join the libusbx mailing list at:

As work progresses, we will of course provide more updates with regards
to the state of libusbx.

If you think we should handle the situation differently, or want to
amend the content of that message let me know.

If nobody comments, I'll send the text above in a couple hours (or
earlier if someone replies in libusb-devel).

I'm quite mad at myself for doing the one thing I'd said I'd never do
(mix up list addresses) and throw a spanner into our announcement plans...

Regards,

/Pete