ETAs for libusbx operability and first release?

Pete Batard pete at akeo.ie
Mon Jan 30 11:20:47 EST 2012

On 2012.01.30 16:01, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
> That's the wrong way around! We have a release every N months, we
> decide what goes on based on that, not the other way around. _That_
> is the main problem with libusb IMO.

Well, my problem here is that I've accumulated quite a few things that
I'd like to push, and I don't know how you guys want to prioritize them.

If you say the only thing we should worry about for future release is
what has been presented, then it's all up to me to decide what goes in.
As such, I can very well choose to delay libusb0/libusbK and focus on
hotplug, or push other stuff like timestamped and toggleable logging
first, that others people may think would be better delayed.

Then again, spending time and effort producing patches only to be met
with "we're not ready for that yet" or "couldn't you have worked on
feature XYZ first?" is a problem I'd like to avoid.

For instance, if you want a hotplug proposal right after the 1.0.9
release, I can most certainly provide one. But that will push the
libusb-win32/libusbK integration back, and it will also require Linux
and OSX people to tend to the code where needed (it's supposed to work
there, but some patching/cleanup may be required). If nobody is
available to sort things up on OSX or Linux, we may end up with a
proposal that goes nowhere or have to delay a release for a few more
months.

This is why I think a little planning ahead to discuss what features
should be the focus of libusbx-next, can go a long way.

Regards,

/Pete