libnl linker versioning is off

Thomas Haller thaller at redhat.com
Sun Jan 4 08:35:09 PST 2015

On Mon, 2014-10-06 at 19:39 +0200, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> On Monday 2014-10-06 15:08, Thomas Haller wrote:
> >>
> >> The dynamic linker checks on program startup whether the requested
> >> libraries provide all the sections from which the program draws
> >> symbols.
> >> A program which uses nl_cli_ct_parse_zone would - given my patch -
> >
> >It seems Thomas didn't forward the mentioned patch. If one of you two
> >could forward it to the mailing list... (thanks).
>
> Oh, I did not actually create any patch yet (just happened to write
> that for some reason). This was a first inquiry.
>
> >> (I feel sad having to try and explain this to every project.
> >> Are there ways to generally improve on this, globally?)
> >
> >Thanks for taking the effort. Some well-written Howto on the internet
> >would seem helpful.
>
> Hm, there's U.Drepper's documents, among it
>  http://www.akkadia.org/drepper/dsohowto.pdf

Hey,

I send a few patches to the mailing list to fix the version scripts:

http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/libnl/2015-January/001794.html

They hide some symbols that were previously exported (but not in public
header files).

I think this should not cause problems for users and is an acceptable
ABI change. What do you think?

Thomas