Compile only libnl-genl

Thomas Graf tgraf at suug.ch
Mon Dec 10 16:52:59 EST 2012

On 12/10/12 at 07:32pm, Felipe López wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> First of all I am going to introduce myself. I am Felipe López and I am
> working on a embedded system. I am using the kernel 2.6.30 and I am trying
> to install an USB-WiFi module that let me use it as a web-server.
>
> The problem is that I installed libnl but the size is too big for my case
> so I would like to know how to compile only libnl-genl which seems to be
> the only feature I need. I even don't know whether that is possible or not.
>
> Thanks a lot for your help in advance

The default is to compile all modular components into separate
libraries. You will find the .so files in lib/.libs/ after
successful compilation.

Please note that libnl-genl has a dependency on libnl in order
to function but you can leave out libnl-route etc.

Don't forget to strip off debug symbols etc. to further reduce
the size of the libraries.

On my system, the size goes down to:
-rwxrwxr-x. 1 tgraf tgraf 106K Dec 10 22:49 libnl-3.so.200.12.1
-rwxrwxr-x. 1 tgraf tgraf  22K Dec 10 22:49 libnl-genl-3.so.200.12.1

We can easily half this with some compile time options if the
above is still too large.