[Freeassociation-devel] Is it possible to limit how timezone is saved?

Milan Crha mcrha at redhat.com
Thu May 16 04:50:37 PDT 2013

	Hi,
testing libical 1.0, I noticed that when saving an event with a
timezone, its whole daylight saving time change history is saved with
the event, which might be fine with respect of correctness, but also
includes useless information, like in my case, where the first timezone
part begins at 1949 and ends at 2037, while I entered the event today,
in 2013, with one instance only. The saved file has 13KB, while the only
relevant information in it is about 1KB, thus the file is 13 times
larger than necessary. I agree with timezone completeness, totally with
recurring events, but it doesn't make much sense to include range of
timezone which is not covered by the event (especially the past times).
I looked briefly into the icaltimezone.h and didn't find anything what
would suggest as being used for this kind of limiting, hence my
question.

I know I can create a copy of the builtin timezone, remove anything I do
not like from its internal component, and save the modified timezone
instead, but I expect there will be more people wanting to do this, thus
it might make sense to have a buildin function for it in libical itself.
	Bye,
	Milan