[Freeassociation-devel] Default value for ical_errors_are_fatal

Will Stephenson wstephenson at kde.org
Fri Jan 2 03:35:49 PST 2009

On Friday 02 January 2009 09:58:53 Chenthill wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-01-02 at 14:16 +0530, Debarshi Ray wrote:
> > > Ping.. do we have a conclusion yet?
> > >
> > > To summarise the discussion so far:
> > > + KDE code works well anyway, the patch does not change anything
> > > + Evolution code (and e-d-s, evolution-exchange, evolution-mapi) have
> > > problems with the current code - and we __will__ make changes to our
> > > code at runtime to keep it from crashing.
> >
> > Not only Evolution, but Sunbird is also affected. Bongo seems to have
> > made the decision to change the defaults in their forked code some
> > time ago. Here is the bug: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/478331
> >
> > As far as Fedora's KDE team is concerned, Rex Dieter agreed to our
> > proposal to change the default values in the configure script.
>
> Cool, I thought evolution was only a single module which required this
> change and so did not want to make the change in libical just for us.
> With other projects also wanting the change, its better to be in
> libical.

Speaking for the Novell KDE team, I request that we keep this switch set to
fatal as late as possible in the development cycle, so that errors in apps'
usage of libical are found instead of being masked.  Libical is complex
enought that most errors are only found by having a broad range of test inputs
from beta testers (several of the bugs in Kontact were only found in this
way).  And bugs masked by enabling this switch will result in harder to debug
apparent calendar corruptions and strange behaviour when talking to groupware
servers, instead of obvious crashes.  Rex will have acked this change for
Fedora because they have an enthusiast user base and neither the manpower or
the expertise to debug Kontact in detail.  For those of us with enterprise
support commitments, keeping this switch off reduces our maintenance costs.

Concrete requests for Novell packages (I'm talking to the Evo team here)
* in openSUSE Factory, keep the switch off until RC (since we should have
branched for SLE 11 already, it should stay off now)
* for SLE 11, since it has a very long RC phase, keep the switch off for
another month at least.

Will