[Freeassociation-devel] Makefile.am issues in libical

Debarshi Ray debarshi.ray at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 04:09:13 PDT 2008

>>> Since there is no usage of the C++ version in the outside world so far the
>>> primary focus should be that its building clean without.

>> This is a lame reason to not fix your Makefiles.

> Why? the demand is just, that it dosn't throw warnings etc. if built without
> the C++ Part.

Because I am not just talking about warnings. The code fails to build.

> Why distribute a library nobody is using? If there is demand, theres a
> reason to invest time in it.

It looks like it is the other way round. It is as if others are being
discouraged to use them since firstly the code does not build, and
secondly they are not linked. Whatever it is there should be atleast
some mention of this fact in the sources (NEWS, README, configure,
etc.).

> Else its a waste of valuable time I can spend
> doing better things. (the same for python and java bindings)

_I_ spent _my_ valuable time to fix the Makefiles and sent you a
patch. Even if this patch is against the Makefile.ins it is trivial to
interpret them and apply the same to the Makefile.ams.

Happy hacking,
Debarshi