[Freeassociation-devel] Makefile.am issues in libical

dothebart room_freeassociation-devel at uncensored.citadel.org
Wed Sep 3 03:45:09 PDT 2008

>Mi Sep 03 2008 12:29:26 CEST von Debarshi Ray in 0000000000.Sent Items> an
>"Wilfried Goesgens"
>Betreff: Re: [Freeassociation-devel] Makefile.am issues in libical
>

>>> There will be no way to patch .in's
>>

>I don't want you to patch .ins. Fix the .ams.
>

>>> you can call bootstrap yourself if you like to.
>>

>See, I know this dance about Autotools. bootstrap will not help
>because running recent versions of the Autotools chain will modify
>many of the .ams, .ins and configures. This will make the whole patch
>messy.
>

>>> Maybe Art can tell you which version he used.
>>

>Automake 1.9.6. It is written in the generated files.
>Autoconf/Automake upstream believes developers should be using the
>most recent versions since distributing files generated by older (read
>potentially buggy) versions is not advisable.

Using latest autofoo and its improved language features means trouble on *BSD
and other systems. Been there, done that.

>>> Since there is no usage of the C++ version in the outside world so far
>>the
>>> primary focus should be that  its building clean without.
>>

>This is a lame reason to not fix your Makefiles.

Why? the demand is just, that it dosn't throw warnings etc. if built without
the C++ Part.

>>> The debian.org debs for example neither build the  C++ part, nor the
>>python
>>> wrapper.
>>

>So?
>
>Happy hacking,
>Debarshi

Why distribute a library nobody is using? If there is demand, theres a reason
to invest time in it. Else its a waste of valuable time I can spend doing
better things. (the same for python and java bindings)

Wilfried Goesgens