WOL filters specifications.

Paul Fox pgf at laptop.org
Wed Sep 1 12:06:41 EDT 2010

alberto wrote:
 > On mer, 2010-09-01 at 11:09 -0400, John W. Linville wrote:
 > > Adding S-o-b's...
 > >
 > > This patch is nearly 2 years old -- is there a real problem here?
 >
 > Well, about the nowadays driver, that piece of code is never used,
 > so it is hard that it was successfully tested..
 > I'm asking if there was a rationale behind that. (If anyone knows)
 > Because We are going to try to use that functionality but that
 > wide differences between specs and code makes me wonder that
 > the specs I have maybe are not right.
 >
 > There had been also a try to use that functionality in the thread:
 > http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.wireless.general/22563/focus=23312
 >
 > But porting this patch to the nowadays driver results (in my case
 > 88W8686 based wifi chip connected via sdio) in deafness of the wifi
 > chip about the iwpriv calls that sets rules: iwpriv calls that get the
 > rules results always in 0 rules set.

i've been told that the 5.1 spec is probably the most recent.  it's
also been my impression that the 8686 (which is used on the OLPC
XO-1.5) doesn't support the full suite of WOL filtering that was
present in, for instance, the 8388 as used on the XO-1.  i would love to
be wrong about this.

our most recent releases haven't been able to take advantage of
wake-on-arp, or on-multicast, because of the lack of firmware support
on the new laptops, and lack of driver/user infrastructure in recent
kernels for the old laptop.  (not to mention our lack of resources to
correct either issue.)

paul