Change of CWmin value in libertas USB8388

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Mon Oct 13 15:00:20 EDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-10-13 at 18:20 +0530, Anadi Mishra wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 5:27 PM, Dan Williams <dcbw at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2008-10-13 at 16:08 +0530, Anadi Mishra wrote:
> >> Hi Dan,
> >>             I am using libertas USB8388 for my work where I need to
> >> modify the CWmin values based on some parameters like rssi(which will
> >> be obtained from the driver).
> >>             How can I do it. I found that the CW values are set in
> >>
> >> linux/net/mac80211/mlme.c ::   ieee80211_sta_def_wmm_params(struct
> >> net_device *dev,       struct ieee80211_sta_bss *bss,int ibss)
> >>
> >> Do i need to change this code or writing a kernel module will do ?
> >> Any help would be great.Thanks.
> >
> > Are you using the libertas driver, or the libertas_tf driver?
> >
> > Dan
> >

> I am using libertas driver.

Ok, then nothing in linux/net/mac80211/* is going to help you, because
that's for the softmac cards (like atheros, broadcom, intel, etc) that
do most of the processing on the host CPU.

The Libertas 8x8x cards with standard firmware are "fullmac" where most
of the work is done on the libertas device's CPU instead, and thus they
don't use the mac80211 stack.

The current libertas driver doesn't yet support WMM at this time.  The
code wouldn't be really hard to do since it's existed for a while in
various forms, but the core issues would be:

1) turning WMM on/off in the firmware
2) Implementing multiple queues, though we should use the new 2.6.27
generic multiqueue infrastructure if at all possible
3) parsing WMM IEs from the beacons and setting internal values based on
those beacon values

Dan