AVR32 + Marvell8385, ETIMEDOUT helper firmware loading problem

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Thu Aug 21 10:26:44 EDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-08-21 at 10:04 +0200, Fabien Sartor wrote:
> Dan Williams a écrit :
> > On Wed, 2008-08-20 at 10:02 +0200, Fabien Sartor wrote:
> >
> >> Hello libertas,
> >>

> >> I'm with an AVR32 architecture and I'm trying to operate a marvell8385
> >> chip in sdio for 2 months. I stop always at the same point. When the
> >> driver load the helper, it response me :
> >>

> > What kernel version, and if you're using a libertas version not from
> > that kernel, what date did you pull it from?
> >

> >>         libertas: can't load helper firmware
> >>
> >>         libertas: failed to load helper firmware
> >>
> >>         SDIO: Disabling IRQ for mmc0:0001:1...
> >>

> >> After deeps investigations, I found the « int if_sdio_prog_helper(struct
> >> if_sdio_card *card) » in "if_sdio.c"  return me : ret = -ETIMEDOUT; (ret
> >> = -110), and I don't know why !
> >>

> > It basically means the card wasn't ready to accept another firmware
> > block after 1 second.  What silicon revision is your 8385 BTW?
> >

> I use Linux 2.6.24.3 with kernel libertas version, and the revision of
> the chip is 88W8385 TGJ1.
> I fact, I use a XG-180M module from ZCom.

It'll be lower down on the chip, likely just to the right of the 4-digit
manufacture date code.  TGJ1 is the physical package type.

For example:

88W8686-NAP1
KHC5811.4
0644 B2P ES
TW

The "B2P" is the revision, so for example I've got a B2 8686.  The 8385
revision code should be in the same place.

http://www.zcom.com.tw/program/big_pic/XG-880M.jpg

That picture shows a B2 revision ("B2P").

Dan