AVR32 + Marvell8385, ETIMEDOUT helper firmware loading problem

Fabien Sartor f.sartor at s2ih.fr
Thu Aug 21 04:04:00 EDT 2008

Dan Williams a écrit :
> On Wed, 2008-08-20 at 10:02 +0200, Fabien Sartor wrote:
>
>> Hello libertas,
>>

>> I'm with an AVR32 architecture and I'm trying to operate a marvell8385
>> chip in sdio for 2 months. I stop always at the same point. When the
>> driver load the helper, it response me :
>>

> What kernel version, and if you're using a libertas version not from
> that kernel, what date did you pull it from?
>

>>         libertas: can't load helper firmware
>>
>>         libertas: failed to load helper firmware
>>
>>         SDIO: Disabling IRQ for mmc0:0001:1...
>>

>> After deeps investigations, I found the « int if_sdio_prog_helper(struct
>> if_sdio_card *card) » in "if_sdio.c"  return me : ret = -ETIMEDOUT; (ret
>> = -110), and I don't know why !
>>

> It basically means the card wasn't ready to accept another firmware
> block after 1 second.  What silicon revision is your 8385 BTW?

I use Linux 2.6.24.3 with kernel libertas version, and the revision of
the chip is 88W8385 TGJ1.
I fact, I use a XG-180M module from ZCom.
>> I found the firmware in this site :
>> http://projects.linuxtogo.org/projects/marvell8385/. I tried others
>> firmware and it doesn't operate anyway.
>>

> Which firmware did you get from there?  Because I'm pretty sure the only
> firmware there is CompactFlash firmware, not SDIO firmware, and since
> you're apparently using and SDIO part, you probably don't have the right
> firmware.  You should have gotten some SDIO firmware from Marvell when
> you got the card, or from your upstream supplier.
>
> Dan

Yes, you are right, It's probably not the good firmware. I asked Marvell
to give me an access to its Intranet. I will see and I'll give you a back.

Thank you Dan,
Fabien.