CF8381

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Tue Aug 19 14:12:03 EDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-07-07 at 13:33 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-07-07 at 18:58 +0200, Marek Vasut wrote:

> > > That's pretty cool.  Do you actually have firmware for the 8381, and if
> > > so, what version is it?
> > >
> > > Dan
> >
> > yea, it can be extracted from palmos. It's usual palmos database file so there
> > is no problem with extracting it's content at all.
> >
> > Since I dont have the device here, I'm posting quote from openmoko wiki which
> > I wrote there some time ago (
> > http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/WiFi_support_in_OpenMoko )
> > WLAN6064EB - IEEE 802.11b Embedded Module - Uses Marvell chipset - 88W8381PN,
> > Used in Palm TX (fw 4.102.p0-122 from 2005/08/30, size 82876 bytes, fw stored
> > in 8381Fw.pdb), PN means it uses RF8015 RF chip, while P-only stands for
> > RF8010.
>
> Ouch, 4.x firmware.  I have no idea what capabilities it has or how it
> compares to the 5.x firmware.  But if it mostly works we could add
> support for it, perhaps.  Can the firmware be split into the helper and
> the main firmware?  Perhaps that's the problem here.  The CF and SDIO
> firmware load processes require 2 firmware versions, a small firmware
> loader that knows how to load the main firmware, and the main firmware
> itself.

Apparently single-stage firmware just skips the second step that's used
with two-stage firmware, so instead of looking for 0x5A in that register
we probably just proceed on after Step 7 of section 2.2.1.2 in the 5.1
spec.  Can you give that a try maybe?  We might need to add quirks for
certain cards so we know if they have one or two-stage firmware, though
that may not hold if there is also two-stage firmware for 8381 cards.

Dan