wext.c: lbs_get_range() needs fixing (to correct iwlist txpower output)

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Tue Aug 19 11:02:58 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-12 at 22:50 +0200, Johan Adolfsson wrote:
> When wext.c: lbs_get_range() fills up the range->txpower array
> we should really have done a CMD_802_11_RX_TX_POWER GET cmd and stored the
> maxpower and minpower that the response provide
> (for newer hardware and firmware 9 at least)
> and use that info to fill in the array instead of
> the hardcoded list that probably is only accurate for
> some hardware.
> (According to the module maker, the module we use support 4-14 dBm)
>
> (maxpower and minpower is present in the response but not
> in the cmd, and is currently missing in struct cmd_ds_802_11_rf_tx_power).
> (In 2.6.25 at least)
>
> Anyone else that have seen this or is working on this ?
> Anything particular to consider when cmd and response is not
> of the same size?

Should convert rf_tx_power to a direct command (with a getter and
setter) and cache the min/max in lbs_setup_firmware(), then use this to
validate input to the WEXT ioctl.

The implementation is a bit overcoded though since it tries to split
power levels up into low/mid/high, but we probably just want to use dBm
everywhere.

I'm poking around at it.

Dan