Update about libertas CompactFlash 8585 driver

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Wed Jun 20 07:42:00 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-06-20 at 10:23 +0200, Holger Schurig wrote:
> > > Associating
> > > -----------
> > > Sometimes, this command sequence is enought:
> > >
> > >     ifconfig eth1 up
> > >     iwconfig eth1 essid key BLAHBLAH
> > >     iwconfig eth1 key s:BLAH1
> > >
> > > But sometimes I have to do that to get a an association:
> > >
> > >     ifconfig eth1 up
> > >     iwconfig eth1 essid key BLAHBLAH
> > >     iwconfig eth1 key s:BLAH1
> > >     iwconfig eth1 essid key BLAHBLAH
> > >
> > > This does not happen with the 8388 USB dongle, so I guess
> > > there is an issue between firmware v5.0 vica v5.1.
> >
> > It would be useful to get a full debug of the driver with the
> > following set for libertas_debug:
> >
> > ENTER, LEAVE, MAIN, WEXT, SCAN, ASSOC, JOIN, CMD, FW
> >
> > The association code batches up WEXT calls and commits them to
> > firmware after a timeout.  I'd like to see the traces to see
> > exactly when the driver calls each of the hardware commands.
>
> Those logs are too long for the mailing list, as told by IRC I've
> sent them to pastebin.ca. http://www.pastebin.ca/576578 is the
> successful association, http://www.pastebin.ca/576582 is the
> unsuccesful one.
>
> I think we have an authenticate-reauthenticate problem. When I
> turn the laptop off and start it (which takes a while), then I'm
> always authenticated to the AP.
>
> But when I do
>
>     # pccardctl eject; sleep 0.5; rmmod libertas_cs libertas
>     # pccardctl insert

Sounds like a good hypothesis; maybe pose this problem in general terms
on linux-wireless and see what people more familiar with the 802.11 spec
say?  I'm not really sure what to do here, because if you cut power to
the card in any way, this will happen.

> Then I almost always can't associate. When I first remove, then
> wait 30 Seconds (or de-authenciate the station manually from the
> APs configuration web site), then authentication at card
> insertion time works again.

I wonder what the timeouts on most APs are?

Dan