Update about libertas CompactFlash 8585 driver

Holger Schurig hs4233 at mail.mn-solutions.de
Tue Jun 19 03:59:53 EDT 2007

My CF driver for the 8385 now can associate. But currently I also
have a bunch of serious and not-so-serious bugs:

Associating
-----------
Sometimes, this command sequence is enought:

    ifconfig eth1 up
    iwconfig eth1 essid key BLAHBLAH
    iwconfig eth1 key s:BLAH1

But sometimes I have to do that to get a an association:

    ifconfig eth1 up
    iwconfig eth1 essid key BLAHBLAH
    iwconfig eth1 key s:BLAH1
    iwconfig eth1 essid key BLAHBLAH

This does not happen with the 8388 USB dongle, so I guess there
is an issue between firmware v5.0 vica v5.1.

Not re-associating
------------------
When I am associated from to an Access Point, and actively
de-associate the client on the AP, then I get the dissassociate
event back ... but then the driver stays where it is. It does no
re-scan and try to re-associate to the best AP it can find.

This happens also with the reference 8388 USB dongle, so it's a
general bug in libertas.

Some softirq problem
--------------------
Sometimes I get the kernel error "NOHZ: local_softirq_pending
08". This line comes out 5 or 10 times. That nonwithstanding,
the driver works.

My system has lots of other devices on IRQ 11: yenta, yenta,
ehci_hcd:usb1, uhci_hcd:usb2, uhci_hcd:usb3, uhci_hcd:usb4 and
libertas_cs. There are no USB devices attached, Kernel is from
the libertas2.6 tree, so it's similar to 2.6.22-rc4. Oh, and I
don't have hyperthreading.

Power management is hosed
After "iwconfig eth1 power on" almost nothing works anymore.
Sometimes one or two pings came throught, but with extremely
long delays. And then I get "libertas: tx watch dog timeout"

The reference USB 8388 dongle doesn't have this problem.