rtap mode.

Holger Schurig hs4233 at mail.mn-solutions.de
Wed Dec 12 03:31:11 EST 2007

> OK, I've fixed the driver to prevent you from enabling monitor
> mode while either eth0 or msh0 interfaces are up, and prevent
> you from bringing them up while it's in monitor mode.

That's quite interesting.

When months ago I tried to convince people that the normal
interface to use monitor mode is "iwconfig XXX mode monitor",
I've got the answer "No, we have to use RTAP because only then
we can have the interface up and do monitoring at the same time.
Therefore we need this driver-specific way to start monitoring".
I didn't really like the driver-specific (or proprietary) way of
turning monitor mode on/off.

And now it turns out that you cannot actually use monitoring
while the interface is up. So shouldn't we now drop "echo 1