[LEDE-DEV] ar71xx: Non-Unique MAC addresses for GL-iNet GL-AR750

Sven Eckelmann sven at narfation.org
Fri May 11 06:04:05 PDT 2018

On Freitag, 11. Mai 2018 13:33:03 CEST Dongming Han wrote:
[...]
> Is it suitable for batman-adv to work on GL-AR750
> by changing WLAN MAC to locally administered MAC?

As mentioned in the previous mail, this is what I need to do before I attach
the interface to a batman-adv interface.

> Would you please kindly sugguest some standard or specification vioation of
> current MAC allocation schema?

I would recommend to ask the IEEE here. They already provide a (actually
multiple) document(s) about their regauth:
http://standards.ieee.org/develop/regauth/tut/eui.pdf (see "Extended Unique
Identifiers").

"With some exceptions, particularly with regard to protocol identifiers, each
EUI is intended to be globally unique and bound to a hardware device instance
or other object that requires unique identification. EUI-48 and EUI-64
identifiers are most commonly used as globally unique network addresses
(sometimes called MAC addresses), as specified in various standards. For
example, an EUI-48 is commonly used as the address of a hardware interface
according to IEEE Std 802, historically using the name “MAC-48”. [... cut out
the part about universally/locally administered bit and individual/group bit
...]. A universally administered address is intended to be a globally unique
address."

There are most likely also other things out there in the 802.3 standard(s).
And maybe there are also some documents which advertise non-unique addresses
for network interfaces - not sure whether there is also one from the IEEE
because I cannot even name a single one from a well recognized standards body.

Feel free to extend the list of official documents about this problem and
correct me.

Kind regards,
	Sven